Sunday, October 22, 2017


I did this illustration for the Library Journal in August for the September issue. It was actually a bit of an adventure into the old school techniques that I hadn't used in ages. I almost always draw my final line art on paper with pen and ink but over the last several years I've been doing all of sketches digitally. It's way easier and faster to revise digital sketches than paper ones. This time that was not an option. I traveling with the intent of being on "vacation" so I left my laptop at home. I was crashing at a friends house in L.A. getting ready to exhibit at the Longbeach Zine Fest. It was a good job and I didn't want to pass on it- so I always carry a good drawing kit with me. I broke out the pencils and went to work on a dining room table. I used my phone to snap photos to send to the art director. After the zine fest it was off the Las Vegas for a friends birthday and goodbye to a vast dining room table to the worlds smallest hotel vanity desk in which I finished the sketches. I did a lot of sketches for this job. somewhere around 15!. I think because I was traveling and balancing work with fun, I just wasn't getting the concept. The other hard part was I'd only have 2 days to do the final when I got back to Hawaii. Well, it got done, not ideally but life is often not ideal.

0 comments: